May heralds the warmer weather with people are happy to be outside, to explore and meet each other. We’ve selected a couple of highlights in the Tokaj Wine Region for you. So here are some of our favourites!
– Tokaj-Hegyalja Market is a gathering of talented local artisans who bring high quality cheeses and cured meats, jams and honeys, as well as a wide range of handcrafts from ceramics to pottery, wooden toys to baskets, jewellery to soaps. The fantastic setting around the Sárga Borház Restaurant on the Disznókő estate means great opportunities for early summer vineyard exploration and Tokaji wine tasting too.
Saturday 14th – Sunday 15th
– Whit weekend, Sárospatak has long been a favourite in the region, indeed it was one of the first festivals. Based on the life of St Elizabeth of Hungary, a costumed procession from the Castle travels through the town commemorating important stages of the princess’ short life. The Water Gate (Vizikapú) – the grassy area between the river Bodrog and the high castle wall turns into the stage for the commemoration of 1458 Botkő Battle by the Zemplén Equestrian Society. Great costumes, traditional handcrafts and exciting action as the two armies battle it out. Plus a market, food stalls with traditional Hungarian dishes and children’s folk dance in the Castle District.
– Ice Saints, Patricius Winery offers thematic wines tastings, food and wine matching, concerts and children’s events at the splendid Patricius Winery set a hill with great views over Bodrogkeresztúr to Tokaj. Followed by a dance house with live music at the region’s centre for folk dance.
– Whit weekend, Erdőbénye is a relative newcomer to the events calendar. Open wineries, some unusual methods of transport (bike, Wartburg and horse and cart) to explore the stunning countryside of the basin enclosed by vineyards with oak forests of the Zemplén above.
– Saint Urban’s Day celebrates Urban, patron saint of vintners with masses in the wine region as his relic travels around. Plus open cellars, exhibitions, music and Mainly organised by the Tokaj Women and Wine Association.
– 2nd Sárospatak Dragon Boat Race on the Bodrog opposite the Castle as local teams take to the water in unusual boats.
Get an overview of all the wine region’s events on our calendar page.